Special Projects is a grant program that provides up to $1,250 for North Dakota groups to initiate new art events of all disciplines and forms and to hire North Dakota or non-North Dakota touring artist and artist groups.
Note: There is limited funding available for this program. Early submission of applications is highly recommended. Applications are reviewed and grants awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis and it is not guaranteed that funds will be available for all the panel dates listed.
Applicants are encouraged to carefully review the Program Overview and Application Guidelines, then call the program officer prior to beginning an application, particularly if there are questions about activity eligibility.
Deadlines - FY21
- Online grant applications for FY21 Special Project grants will be open and available on April 15, 2020
- Application Deadline: Before 11:59 pm (CST) 6-weeks before activity start date
- Draft Review Deadline: Before 11:59 pm (CST) 2-weeks (14 days) before application deadline
- July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021
Applicants must be one of the following:
- North Dakota State tax-exempt nonprofit arts organization.
- Federally tax-exempt nonprofit arts organization.
- Federally tax-exempt non-arts organizations and community education units. Arts budgets must be isolated from the larger entity’s budget and have an advisory committee for the proposed project.
- Public Entity such as a unit of state, local, or tribal government. Arts budgets must be isolated from the larger entity’s budget and have an advisory committee for the proposed project.
- Informal and/or unincorporated arts-focused groups. The applicant group must have its own board of directors or advisory committee that provides input on the project and oversight of the grant funds and a fiscal sponsor. A letter of agreement is required between the fiscal sponsor and applicant group. Fiscal sponsors must be registered with the IRS as a 501(c)3 nonprofit. A fiscal sponsor is a tax-exempt organization that receives grant monies and manages the financial aspects of the project on behalf of a group that does not have tax-exempt status.
And All Applicants Must:
- Be physically located in North Dakota, Moorhead, MN, or East Grand Forks, MN;
- Have majority of arts programming, services, or activities take place in North Dakota;
- Primarily serve and engage North Dakota audiences and participants.
- May not exceed $1,250 or 50% of the total project cash expenses, whichever is less
- A 50% match is required
All applicants are required to use the Go Smart system to apply. Registration is required of all applicants before beginning an application to any program. It is only necessary to register once.
Go Smart Tutorial
How to Register and Use Go Smart: PDF download
For Questions or Assistance
Contact Program Officer Vanessa Voskuil | firstname.lastname@example.org | (701) 328-7591