The Individual Artist Fellowship grant program is designed to support outstanding professional practicing artists residing in North Dakota. Two fellowships of $3,500 are annually awarded for projects that will enhance or expand the applicant's artistic skills and/or process and advance the applicant's career by helping the artist generate greater visibility with and exposure to potential audiences.
Each proposal must include three live, in person, community components in at least two of the eight North Dakota Regions that will provide greater visibility for the artist's work and promote meaningful engagement between the artist and North Dakota audiences. A public performance, exhibition, reading, open workshop, or demonstration that the public can attend, are some examples of possible community components. Proposed community component activities are to also engage diverse audiences and communities.
First time applicants are encouraged to carefully review the Program Overview and Application Guidelines, then call the program officer prior to beginning an application.
Deadlines - FY21
- Application Deadline: Before 11:59 pm (CST) on Friday, May 1, 2020 (updated deadline as of 3/18/2020)
- July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021
Eligible Disciplines FY21: Dance and Theater
Includes: choreographers (including traditional dance genre), theater directors who generate new works, playwrights (including musical theater genre), lighting designers, set designers, and costume designers
Eligible Individual Artist Applicants Must be:
- A professional artist;
- The originator of the work, not an interpreter of the work of others;
- A United States citizen or have attained permanent resident status;
- At least 18 years of age;
- A North Dakota resident as of January 1, 2019 and continue to reside in North Dakota throughout the contract period;
- Cannot be enrolled as a student in any high school, college, or university at the time of application.
All applicants are required to use the Go Smart system to apply. Registration is required of all applicants before beginning an application to any program. It is only necessary to register once.
Go Smart Tutorial
How to Register and Use Go Smart: PDF download
For Questions or Assistance
Contact Program Officer Kim Konikow | firstname.lastname@example.org | (701) 328-7592